Goals and Objectives of the department are as follows:
- Empowerment of communities, groups and individuals through their active participation in developmental programmes for improved social functioning and quality of life.
- Development and implementation of integrated safety net programmes that address social risks which are the result of unemployment, retirement, illness/disability, old age and death.
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive community development strategy (CCDS) focusing on healthy livelihoods, social inclusion, improved nutritional and social status of individuals infected and affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Organisational transformation and development for effective management, communication, planning, financial management, reporting and utilization of resources.
- Developing leadership and a learning organization to capacitate personnel for responsive and effective service delivery.