ABOUT US |AMATHOLE NEWS| DEMOGRAPHICS | SERVICE DIRECTORY | PICTURE GALLERY
Situated along the coastal line of the southern part of the Eastern Cape and also taking in former Ciskie and Transkie homelands. The Amathole District Municipality’s area of jurisdiction is made up of eight local municipalities.The Amathole,means “the calves of the Drakensberg” in Xhosa.This refers to the pastoral way of life of the rural Xhosa communities who still graze their colourful Nguni cattle on her foothills today.
The Amathole District Municipality’s area of jurisdiction is made up of 7 local municipalities, as follows:
- AMAHLATHI MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the towns of Stutterheim, Cathcart, Keiskammahoek and Kei Road, and numerous peri-urban and rural settlements.
- NXUBA MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the town of Bedford, Adelaide and surrounding rural areas.
- NKONKOBE MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the town of Alice, Fort Beaufort and Middledrift. The smaller towns of Hogsback and Seymour, and numerous peri-urban and rural settlements.
- NGQUSHWA MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the town of Peddie, the coastal town of Hamburg, and numerous peri-urban and rural settlements.
- GREATE KEI MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the town of Komga, the small coastal towns of Kei Mouth, Haga Haga, Morgans Bay and Chintsa, and a number of rural settlements.
- MNQUMA MUNICIPALITY: Comprises the main towns of Butterworth, the small towns of Ngqamakwe and Centane, and numerous peri-urban and rural settlements.
- MBASHE MUNICIPALITY: Comprising the towns of Dutywa, Elliotdale and Willowvale, and numerous peri-urban and rural settlements.
INTERVENTIONS TO COMBAT POVERTY
- Programmes that address poverty
- Awareness campaign to promote self-reliance
- Social Relief of Distress
- Focus Groups according to their needs